There are a few steps you can follow to help you live better without all the stress and tension you may be feeling. The lease purchase program is not an easy system but it is one that you can use to improve your quality of life.
- Don’t let the ‘trucker talk’ get you down. We have all heard the whiners and complainers at the counter or in the truck stop, in the terminal break rooms, or on the CB. The key is not to let it get to you. Develop a sound business plan and stick to it. Others may like to know how you’re doing such a good job, but if they are into whining or steering wheel jockeys they probably won’t listen even if you try to explain it to them. Stick to your guns and follow your own footsteps to keep everything running smoothly.
- Make sure your paperwork is in order. If your log book isn’t up to date or sloppy when you pull into a scale house, that DOT man is probably going to look closer or keep looking until he finds something. Keep your log book and paperwork up to date and keep it close at hand so if and when you’re pulled around back for an inspection, you won’t take too long to come out of the truck and make ‘the man’ suspicious.
- Run legal. If your log book is legal and everything is matching properly including your toll tickets, you won’t be as stressed. If you are running a legal speed or below to conserve fuel, you’ll be running a little easier and not stretching your nerves as well as your fuel budget.
- Take some time out for you every day. Read a book, play a game, watch a movie, take a bath, toss a ball with another driver. Relaxation is a key to reducing stress and making you feel better. You can work better or sleep better if you’d not wound up tight like the main spring in a watch. Stop and take a deep breath every once in awhile. Look around at the beauty in the world instead of being grumpy and finding something to complain about.
- Exercise speeds up your metabolism and makes you feel better. It will give you more energy and help you to stay focused better. Lean muscle mass also burns more calories and may help you to lose or keep off those extra pounds. By toning your muscles your job will become easier to perform as well.
- Look for ways to improve your diet. Choose broiled or grilled foods over fried foods. Have a salad or at least add a side salad to your meal to increase your vegetable intake without drastically increasing the calories. Choose low-fat dressings and/or reduce the amount of them. Stock up on fresh fruit at your local grocery store. Find ways to prepare some of your meals yourself so that you not only save money but you eat healthier. Your body will appreciate it along with your pocketbook.
In today’s economy, money is tight and miles are short. So many drivers are trying to point fingers instead of realizing that it is a new age. You have to learn how to make the best of what you have. As a lease purchase owner operator you must make every mile count and learn how to work more efficiently.
Work smarter and understand what you’re up against. This will help you to reduce your stress and be happier with what you’re doing. You can use the system to your advantage instead of fighting it and you’ll come out on top.